mcostanza / Philly Cheesesteak
Ingredients (2 servings, 1 large sub)
- 9 ounces boneless short ribs
- 2 ounce sliced American cheese (6 thin slices)
- 1/3 of a sweet onion
- 1/3 of a bell pepper
- a few ounces of mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- Some type of sub roll, Italian bread, you know.
- kosher salt
- parchment paper
- tin foil
- Put the boneless short ribs in the freezer for 40 minutes so they are partially frozen.
- At some point, preheat a cast iron skillet in the oven.
- Slice the onions and peppers very thinly and put them in a bowl.
- Slice the mushrooms very thinly and put them in a separate bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in dutch oven on medium heat. Once heated, add the peppers and onions and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Add some salt and pepper whenever you feel like it.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to stir occasionally.
- After another 2-3 minutes add the vinegar, and simmer on low with the lid ajar.
- When the meat is partially frozen, take it out and slice it into many strips as thin as possible! Arrange these into 2 piles of meat slices shaped like a cheese steak pile of meat should be shaped. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Set up 2 sandwich wraps, parchment paper is the inner layer, tin foil is the outer layer.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil on high in the cast iron skillet.
- Using a spatula, transfer 1 meat pile into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, using the pull-chop technique, until some of the meat is browned. Keep it as a relatively flat layer. Just watch the video.
- Make a layer of onion/pepper/mushrooms on top of the meat, and layer the cheese on top of that. Cook for 4 minutes until the cheese is fully melted and things are getting nice crispy along the edges.
- Using a spatula, transfer into the bread, and wrap it up. Store in the oven.
- Repeat process for the other half of the cheese steak.
- Originally tried 1 tablespoon of vinegar + 2 tablespoons water for 1 entire onion + 1 entire pepper + 16oz mushrooms. Wanted a lot more vinegar flavor. Try fewer vegetables (1/3 onion and pepper) + 1 tablespoon vinegar next time.
- Make sure to add enough salt to the meat. I went light assuming the American cheese would provide enough salt and it didn't quite do it.