skitterypigeon / Blueberry Crumble
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (can be adjusted depending on how sweet blueberries are)
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats (not steel cut)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes and slightly softened
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Adjust the oven rack to the center position. Generously butter a 9-inch pie plate, or several small ramekins.
- Make the blueberry filling. Toss the blueberries with the granulated sugar, 2 tbsp flour, lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp salt, adjusting the amount of lemon juice according to the relative sweetness or tartness of the berries. Transfer the berries to the pie plate.
- Make the crumble topping. In a large bowl, stir together the remaining flour, oats, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Blend in the butter, using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, and mix until well combined. Crumble the topping over the berries in clumps of varying sizes.
- Bake the blueberry crumble until the berry filling is bubbling and the crisp oat topping is set and browned in places, 25 to 35 minutes. Let the crumble cool a little (but not a lot) before spooning it onto plates or into dishes and serving it warm with a scoop of ice cream plopped on top or on the side or wherever you choose.