sparker / Grilled Hot Wings
Most wing recipes call for grilling, finishing in the oven, and only then pouring sauce over. That's great if you like a really hot sauce, but I like something more flavorful than truly hot. I make this for special occasions - people seem to love it
- 3 pounds chicken wings, separated at joints, washed and pat dry
- 1.5 cups Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 can of Coke
- 2 pinches of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- Combine all ingredients but for the wings in a grill-safe saucepan.
- Heat grill to medium. You want the sauce to just barely simmer. You can have the remainder of the grill a bit hotter if you want crispier wings.
- Simmer the wings for 10 minutes, then grill them for 10 minutes. Alternate this for about 50 minutes. For health and best results, ensure the wings are finished on the grill.
- If you want to pour additional sauce on the wings, you can either go with a bit of unused hot sauce directly, or heat the saucepan to a boil and then use that.