sparker / Spiced Lentil Soup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 generous cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- most of 1 bunch of fresh kale, ribs removed and roughly torn
- Juice of ½ to 1 medium lemon, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook vigorously until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often, in order to enhance their flavor.
- Pour in the lentils, broth and the water. Add a heaping teaspoon of salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a generous few turns of black pepper.
- Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Partially cover the pot and simmer over low for 30 minutes.
- Transfer about 2 cups of the soup to a blender. Purée the soup and return to the pot.
- Add the kale and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the juice of half of a lemon. Stir and taste, adding more salt, pepper or lemon juice as desired.